Return of rentals
Assign your best man and best woman (or a member of the family) to oversee returns if you’re leaving on your honeymoon right away. Everything from rented tuxes to rented trees, chair covers and other items used at the reception must be returned immediately or picked up by the suppliers to avoid paying a surcharge.
Gifts of money
You may receive monetary gifts at the reception. Don’t take them with you on your honeymoon. Have your best man or best woman take charge of them.
Get your gown to a cleaner’s immediately. Fresh stains are more easily removed than stains that have been allowed to set for weeks.
You may want to keep the top tier to celebrate your first anniversary or to share with someone important who couldn’t attend the wedding. See that it is picked up after the reception, properly wrapped and stored in a freezer.
Wedding gifts may still be arriving and every single gift requires a hand-written thank-you note. Don’t put it on the back burner or it won’t get done.
The givers never need know that you quietly returned or exchanged their gifts. Do it discreetly, but do it soon.
If one of you is changing your surname, get at it! Every single official document must be updated.
Photos and videos
Photo selections must be made and the video must be edited. Make time to have some input so you get exactly what you want. Perhaps upload a brief edited version to an online sharing site and email a link to guests.
From this day forward
Start talking to each other about your future.
- bank account: Will you each keep your own account or open a joint account?
- paying bills: Who will be in charge of the banking and bill-paying?
- housework: How will the duties be shared? n cooking: Will this be a joint effort, or is cooking a hobby for one of you?
- entertaining: How will you entertain? Sit-down formal dinners? Barbecues? Buffets? When will you begin?
- your future home: Where do you both want to live five years from now? How will you set up saving/investments to get there?
- redecorating: Do you want to update where you’re now living? Will you work together with ideas and colour options? n children: Do you plan to have children? When?