There’s no single solution that keeps a budget within limits because every couple has their own set of priorities. Take a look at some of the biggest budget needs and see where you’re willing to have a little give and take.
You may just need limousines to get the wedding party to the service, but then will use private cars. You are paying by the hour, so be specific about what you need or want.
Be precise about the venue costs. There may be add-on fees for everything from collecting trash to cake cutting. When negotiating costs, ask for every possible extra to be included so you get a final figure with no surprises when the invoice arrives.
Be specific about the length of time you require the photographer to be on hand. They can bill extra, based on their hourly rate, if you run overtime. Ask them to give you a 15-minute warning when your allotted time is about to expire.
Heavy paper, unusual shapes or sizes require extra postage and postage cost in Canada is high.
Check to see if gratuities are built into the cost so you don’t tip twice.
Control costs by using only in-season flowers. Use fewer blooms and fill in the space with attractive fill such as baby’s breath and fern.
All other savings are based on your own decisions about what is important to you.
- Are you willing to limit the dresses you try on to those that are within your budget? This protects you from overspending.
- Is having a limousine or bus important to you?
- Are you willing to have smaller bouquets and table centrepieces with fewer flowers?
- Do you really want a wedding cake?
- Do you need to have your makeup and hair done professionally?
- Can you pare back on the range of pre-dinner cocktail foods?
- Can you limit the hours the bar is open?
- Is it important to you to have a five-piece band?