Congratulations! You just got engaged and you have the ring – now what? Follow these simple steps to help you transition into the wedding-planning process.
- Share the good news in the order of those who mean most to you. It’s definitely not ok for your hairdresser to hear before mom.
- Get a manicure. Your hands are front and centre when you show off your ring.
- Agree on a timetable. It’s not too soon to say, “Yes, I’ll marry you – but when?”
- Discuss where and size of wedding so you start the planning process on the same page.
- Check availability of sites for the service and reception so you can set the date.
- Work out a budget. It will change throughout the process, but an initial budget will start you off on the right track.
- Open a wedding bank account. Put all money, from every source, into the account and pay all expenses from that account so you can keep the spending under control.
- Use your credit card to gain points, but then pay off the credit card from the wedding bank account.
- Agree on who pays for what. Parents hosting the wedding? Hosting your own wedding? Parents contributing? Be very clear about the funding.