Vienna, Austria, in the heart of Europe, is said to be one of the 10 most romantic cities in the world. So whether you take a romantic stroll along the Danube River or immerse yourself in the city’s rich culture and history, Vienna is an ideal honeymoon destination.
What to see
Drop by and view a collection of priceless Indian and Persian miniatures in the Room of Millions at the Schönbrunn Palace, or journey further into the compound and visit the Palm House, which houses dozens of Mediterranean, tropical and subtropical plants in three pavilions. Take a Klimt Walk through the city to see the works of the artist Gustav Klimt or visit the Leopold Museum or the Albertina. After, view Vienna from an observation terrace and grab lunch at Café Gloriette. Then take a stroll to the zoo, which holds more than 500 animal species.
Vienna is an exciting place to explore, so take to the streets and visit one of the city’s markets. Naschmarkt, the largest and best-known market, has Viennese and international specialties. Brunnenmarkt has an electric atmosphere and a South European and Turkish flavour. Young artists contribute to the electric atmosphere of this market.
Take a break from sightseeing and exploring and relax at the Therme Wien city spa. With 26 pools, 24 sauna and steam rooms, a fitness room and the largest thermal baths in Austria, the spa guarantees terrific R&R. Go for a swim in the romantic grotto pool, indulge your senses in the aroma room, or stroll through the gardens.
All in all, this city is one of Europe’s treasures and is not to be missed.
What you need to know
- The Vienna-Schwechat Airport is located just outside of the city. Take a 20-minute ride on the City Airport Train or the Airport Express Bus to mid-town.
- Vienna’s currency is the euro.
- Vienna doesn’t have a strong credit card tradition so bring cash.
- Wien is the local German word for Vienna and is displayed everywhere.
- The climate is characterized by hot summers and cold winters with temperatures known to get below zero in the winter.
- Vienna is in the Central European time zone and is six hours ahead of Toronto.
Written by Victoria Abraham