Every plus-size body is different. You may have a pear shape with full hips, or a large bust. Whatever the body type, it will be clear that, over the years, every woman – and especially the plus-size woman – has refined her style choices to those that are the most flattering.
A wedding dress, however, is a new experience. It is best not to take a narrow view of your choices when you start your search for the ideal gown.
Be prepared to try on styles that you normally wouldn’t wear. We guarantee that there are fresh options in store for you. So listen to the experienced store consultant. They are accustomed to working with all body types and may have a few surprises in store for you!
- Call bridal salons before you visit to ensure they have plus-size samples in stock for you to try on.
- Shop with an open mind. The experienced boutique personnel are experienced in ‘reading’ figure types.
- Be aware that a plus-size gown will cost a little more because of the extra fabric needed.
- Pay attention to pretty accessories that will put your look over the top: shoes, earrings, cuff, necklace, tiara, flowers, veil or fascinator in your hair.
- Be aware of sizes. Bridal gowns have smaller measurements than other fashions, so a usual size 14 will need a size 16.
Originally published in Today’s Bride magazine, Spring/Summer 2015.