Bridesmaids like to pick their own dress – and black is a perennial favourite. “Choosing her own dress is great for the bridesmaid because she can wear the dress again, it can be affordable and black also photographs well,” says wedding consultant Candice Wasserstein.
The bride may choose the colour and perhaps the length, but her attendants choose their own style and at a price they can afford.
Above: We like the Henkaa convertible dresses (it means “change” in Japanese). This remarkable one-size-fits-all dress comes in three lengths and a range of colours, as well as plus sizes. Each maid can style it in their own way (go to henkaa.com for styling instructions) and you can also change the look with overlays, broaches and jewellery.
Tell us what you really think!
- 83% of survey respondents said the best thing about being a bridesmaid was getting to be part of their friend’s special day.
- Other favourite times: the wedding day (39%) and the reception (42%).
- The least favourite parts of being a bridesmaid? The cost (77%), the time commitment (25%).
- Planning the bachelorette and bridal shower also ranked as the ‘least favourite’ parts of the job.
- 27% said dealing with other bridesmaids was a source of stress.
According to data from the Ultimate Bridesmaid 2013 Census.