The resorts in the Caribbean recognize a good thing, and that’s why they have so many good wedding programs.
The soft, sandy beaches of the Dominican Republic offer unusual privacy. At night, your voice is echoed by exotic nature sounds within the lush rainforest, which borders the Caribbean Island’s eastern coast.
The island seems remote, but activities are plentiful, including championship golf, spa services at the resorts and scuba diving.
Cigar lovers will have a great time shopping for the country’s famous cigars, and exclusive tours of cigar factories can be arranged (some of which export the world’s leading brands).
The towns are lovely, starting with the Victorian gingerbread seaside town of Puerto Plata, which is filled with pretty shops and romantic restaurants.
Windsurfers may prefer the nearby beach town of Cabarete, one of the windsurfing capitals of the world.
Coral Hotels & Resorts has four resorts on the island, one near Puerto Plata, one near Bayahibe, one on Boca Chica Bay and one in Juan Dolio, 40 minutes from Santo Domingo and 10 minutes from the new Guavaberry Golf & Country Club, a championship par-72 golf course designed for Gary Player.
All resorts can accommodate weddings and guide you to providers of a horse-drawn carriage, music trio or quartet, tropical flowers, cakes and a translator for the service.
- Passports are required for foreigners.
- Original birth certificate.
- Single status affidavit in Spanish.
- Divorce decree in Spanish (The Dominican consulate nearest you can prepare these last two documents.)
- Arrival must be three working days before the wedding.
- You need two witnesses.
- Civil weddings can be arranged.
- The Justice of the Peace may deliver the wedding certificate the day after the wedding, depending on his or her workload. This is a valid legal document.
- Church weddings require additional formalities. Check with the Hotel of your choice to see if they have had experience with church weddings.
- A Dominican guide will take you through the formalities of a church wedding.