We pay attention to what bridal couples say long after the wedding is over. They tell us about the extras that were worth the extra money. So here’s what many remember about where they best spent either more money or more effort that paid off.
1. Pump up lighting
- Rent little artificial trees strung with white lights.
- Have masses of candles, everywhere. (But check with the site manager about their use. Historical sites have very strict rules about candles.)
- Project a pattern of light on a wall or dance floor.
- Change white lightbulbs to pink in some areas.
- Spotlight special areas, such as where the bridal couple is seated or on the wedding cake.
2. Add extra waitstaff
The usual number for table service is about 1.5 for every three tables of eight people. This ratio can mean that one table is finishing its soup while another is just getting served. Get a price on increasing the servers so it’s a ratio of two servers for every three tables of eight.
3. Include bomboniere
Having a little gift for each guest to take home is not necessary, but it’s a nice touch. The best gifts are edible gifts:
- Home-baked cookies with the recipients’ initial on top.
- A small jar of homemade preserves.
- A small bottle of wine.
- A boxed pair of chocolates.
4. Spoil out-of-towners
Guests from afar pay their own transportation and hotel, so they deserve to be spoiled.
- Organize a small welcoming basket of wine, cheese and cookies in their hotel room.
- See that they are singled out and welcomed by name at the reception.
- Arrange for transportation to the wedding, on to the reception and back to their hotel.
5. Design table menus
Food is central to the reception and having a menu at each place setting will whet the appetite as well as dress up the table.
- Personalize table menus with each guest’s name.
- Have an inspiring message. (Steal from a famous poet!)
- Decorate them so they become a keepsake.
- Computer-import a visual. Scan and include a headshot of the couple.
- Decorate using ribbon or dried flowers to pretty them up.