You have implicit trust in your hair stylist – after all, you’ve relied on him (or her) for years. But is your stylist a specialist in weddings? Ask a few pertinent questions before you find yourself in a hairy situation.
1. Is your hair stylist experienced in the specific demands of a wedding day style? How many weddings does he or she do in a month?
2. Will your stylist come to your home on your wedding day? Some insist on a salon visit which adds extra stress for the bride.
3. Did your stylist warn you not to shampoo your hair on your wedding day? Your hair can be too soft and the style will have no staying power.
4. If you have fine hair, were you warned to stop using conditioner a week or more before your wedding? Silky hair is nice for the beach but hard to control for a long wedding day.
5. If you’re planning on adjusting the colour of your hair, have you been advised to start experimenting six months before your wedding day?
6. Can you get a contract that spells out all the services being provided along with prices? It protects both you and the stylist.
7. Will one stylist come to your home or a stylist plus an assistant?
8. Have you enquired about usual tipping?
9. Is your stylist realistic and prompt about time? You need to schedule at least two hours for your hair and makeup.
10. Does the stylist have another client booke on your day?
Originally published in Today’s Bride magazine, Spring/Summer 2013.