You have implicit
trust in your hair
stylist – after all,
you’ve relied on
him (or her) for
years. But is your
stylist a specialist in
weddings? Ask a few
before you find
yourself in a hairy
1. Is your hair stylist experienced in the
specific demands of a wedding day
style? How many weddings does he or
she do in a month?
2. Will your stylist come to your home on
your wedding day? Some insist on a salon
visit which adds extra stress for the bride.
3. Did your stylist warn you not to
shampoo your hair on your wedding day?
Your hair can be too soft and the style will
have no staying power.
4. If you have fine hair, were you warned
to stop using conditioner a week or more
before your wedding? Silky hair is nice for
the beach but hard to control for a long
5. If you’re planning on adjusting the
colour of your hair, have you been advised
to start experimenting six months before
your wedding day?
6. Can you get a contract that spells out
all the services being provided along with
prices? It protects both you and the stylist.
7. Will one stylist come to your home or a
stylist plus an assistant?
8. Have you enquired about usual tipping?
9. Is your stylist realistic and prompt about
time? You need to schedule at least two
hours for your hair and makeup.
10. Does the stylist have another client booke on your day?
Originally published in Today’s Bride magazine, Spring/Summer 2013.